Oven Baked Jerk Chicken
Jerk chicken gets its unique spicy kick from spices used on the island of Jamaica. Oven baking toasts the spices and caramelizes the meat for a mouthwatering experience; partnered with a sweet Mango perfectly completes this dish.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes plus marinade time
1 Tsp salt, or to taste
1 Tsp ground allspice
1 Tsp packed brown sugar
1 Tsp onion powder
½ Tsp dried minced garlic
½ Tsp ground nutmeg
½ Tsp black pepper
½ Tsp ground ginger
¼ Tsp cayenne pepper
¼ Tsp ground cinnamon
¼ Tsp dried thyme leaves
Pro Tip: for a speed scratch meal solution use a pre-made Jerk spice blend from your grocers spice aisle
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 to 3 pound whole chicken legs (drumstick and thigh)
8-10oz S&F Caribbean Mango Chef Sauce
2 lime quartered in wedges.
2 scallions, chopped
Container for marinade
9×13 inch baking dish or baking tray
- Make the jerk rub, in the mixing bowl add the salt, allspice, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic, nutmeg, black pepper, ginger, thyme, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Coat the chicken legs with the spice mixture, add to the container and cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 4 hours.
- ½ hour before cooking, bring the chicken to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat the 9×13 inch baking dish with vegetable oil and place the chicken pieces skin-side up into the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, until no longer pink near the bone.
- Optional Pro Tip: Use your oven to broil.
- Once chicken is cooked, place under the broiler to crisp the skin for about 2 to 5 minutes.
- Plate: Liberally coat a service platter with the S&F Caribbean Mango Chef Sauce, transfer the chicken legs to the platter, and garnish with lime wedges and chopped scallions.