Pressure Cooker Beef & Broccoli
This 30-minute meal is one part sweet, one part salty, one part umami, and all part delicious. Enjoy the bold and fragrant flavors of this Far East classic at home.
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast, cut into ½” x 2” strips
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tsp vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, large dice
2 cloves garlic, minced.
½ cup beef or chicken stock/broth
1/4 Cup S&F Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
¼ cup of water
2 cups broccoli florets
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tsp sesame seeds
Optional – Cooked white rice
Electric pressure cooking, 6 quart or larger
Whisk or fork
- Select sauté setting of electric pressure cooker. Add oil and heat until hot.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Divide meat in to three equal sized segments, add 1st portion of beef strips and cook until browned. Remove from pot and set aside. Repeat for segments two and three until complete.
- Pro Tip: cooking the meat in segment ensures the meat will sauté and brown evenly. Commonly known as overcrowding: If the entire amount of meat is placed in at the same time, the cooking surface will be overcrowded resulting in steamed meat with no browning.
- With the meat browned and set aside. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion becomes translucent, then add stock/broth and the S&F Ginger Teriyaki Sauce. Add beef strips back into pot and gently mix the ingredients together.
- Close pressure cooker lid and seal according to manufacturer instructions. Select high pressure then cook for 15 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, place broccoli and ¼ cup of water in microwave-safe container. Cook in microwave 3–5 minutes until broccoli is tender, then reserve.
- When pressure cooking in complete, select quick-pressure release option of pressure cooker. Remove lid only after valve drops.
- Now thicken the beef mixture with a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl, make slurry by whisking the 3 tablespoons cornstarch in to the 3 tablespoons water.
- Pro Tip: add the cornstarch to the water to incorporate faster.
- Select sauté setting on pressure cooker and add cornstarch slurry to beef mixture in pot. Stir sauce until it thickens, finally add broccoli to beef mixture.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve over white rice.