Oven “Fried” Fish
Enjoy a golden brown coating and moist, flaky fish without all the fat and calories that come from frying. Serve with tangy coleslaw to round out the dish.
Active Time: 22 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
2 lbs. cod or haddock fillets, cut into 8 pieces
1/3 cup flour
2 tsp. seasoning salt
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. hot sauce, more to taste
1/2 cup S&F Tartar Sauce
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the paper with cooking spray.
- Add the oil and butter to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot and bubbly, add panko. Cook and stir until toasted and golden, about 6 minutes. Transfer toasted panko to a plate and set aside.
- Add the flour and seasoning salt to a 1 gallon-sized food storage bag. Seal the bag and shake well to combine the flour and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, water, and hot sauce.
- Bread the fish: Add fish to the bag with flour. Seal and shake well to coat the fish with the flour. Working one piece of fish at a time, shake off the excess flour. Dip the fish into the egg wash allowing excess to drip off. Press the fish into the panko coating all sides. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining fish.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until fish is cooked through.
- Serve fish with 1/2 cup S&F Tartar Sauce and lemon wedges. For a complete meal, serve with French fries and coleslaw.