Carne Asada Steak
This is one of the national dishes of Mexico; “Carne Asada” literally translates to – grilled meat. Flavorful and bold this sauce is made with a few simple ingredients like oil, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, smoked jalapeño and ancho peppers. Use this sauce for slow cooking, marinades or finishing bringing the vibrant flavors of Mexico to your home.
Active Time: 5 minutes plus marinade time
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank or skirt steak
12 ounces S&F Carne Asada Marinade, split in to two 6oz servings
Sliced or chopped avocado
Corn or flour tortillas
Thinly sliced radishes
Thinly sliced lettuce
Cilantro, whole or roughly chopped
Pico de Gallo or your favorite tomato based salsa
Storage container or bag
Grill or cast iron skillet
- Place 6oz of Carne Asada Marinade in storage vessel and then place the steak in the marinade, turn steak to coat liberally. Cover and refrigerate for 1-4 hours or overnight to develop deeper flavor.
- Preheat grill (You can also use a cast iron grill pan on high heat if cooking on the stovetop.)
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Lightly brush off most of marinade
- Place on the grill. Grill the steak until well seared on one side (the browning and the searing makes for great flavor), then turn the steak over and sear on the other side.
- Test doneness with thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. 115°F to 120°F for rare, 125°F medium rare, 140°F for medium. After the desired doneness is achieved, allow meat to rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Pro Tip – Flank steak is very lean and best cooked rare to medium rare. Skirt steak has more fat and can be cooked more well done without losing moisture or flavor because it has marbling.
- Slice the meat across the grain of the meat.
- Pro tip – use a chef or long blade knife. Angle the knife so that your slices are wide and thin.
- Brush the remaining Carne Asada Marinade on the sliced meat or use as a sauce to top or dip.
- Serve as desired or with accompaniments for an authentic Tex-Mex meal.