Zucchini Corn Cakes
It is August which means that it is zucchini season – lots and lots of zucchini. Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable lending itself to both savory and sweet recipes. It can be made into zucchini bread or zucchini pickles. You can spiralize it into noodles.
We love these crispy zucchini cakes which are perfect as a side dish or a vegetarian main course. They are seasoned with S&F Chipotle and Corn Salsa giving them just the right amount of spice and texture.
- 1 lb. zucchini (2 small)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 (13 oz.) jar S&F Chipotle Corn & Chili Salsa, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 Tbsp. dried onion
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 225°F.
- Grate the zucchini and toss it with kosher salt. Place it in a colander over a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and ground black pepper.
- Add 1 cup S&F Chipotle Corn Chili Salsa, eggs, yogurt, butter and dried onion to a separate bowl. Stir well to combine. Use paper towels to press the excess water out of the zucchini. Add the zucchini to the salsa mixture and stir well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add 1/4 cup oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot drop 1/4 cup batter per zucchini corn cake. You will have to cook the cakes in batches adding more oil as needed.
- Cook zucchini corn cakes for about 2 minutes per side, until nicely browned and cooked through. Transfer the cooked cakes to an oven-safe plate and cover with foil. Keep the pancakes in the oven until all of the batter is used up.
- Serve zucchini corn cakes with remaining S&F Chipotle Corn Chili Salsa and sour cream. These zucchini corn cakes make an excellent vegetarian entrée. They can also be used as a starter or a side dish.