The Holiday Table: Classic Corn Casserole
It is turkey time again and we would like Thanksgiving meal preparation to be as delicious and streamlined as possible. This recipe is inspired by very traditional, southern corn casserole. We love it as a side on the holiday table and as well a vegetarian main course for non-meat eating guests. Outside of this week’s big meal, the corn casserole is excellent as a base for chili served for football games or potlucks.
Recipe: Classic Corn Casserole
Active Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 18 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 (13 oz.) jar S&F Chipotle Corn & Chili Salsa, divided
- 1 (14.75 oz.) can creamed corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup S&F Chipotle Corn Salsa, creamed corn, sour cream, corn, egg and butter until evenly blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just blended. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Use a spatula to smooth the casserole into an even layer.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until the casserole is set and the edges are golden brown.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish the slices with the remaining S&F Chipotle Corn Salsa. This casserole is perfect for the Thanksgiving table and for neighborhood cookouts.