Harissa Honey Glazed Chicken
When it comes to summer, we cannot get enough easy, grilled dinners. We want lots of flavor without lots of effort. This recipe has only a few ingredients and can be prepped in under 20 minutes, including the salad! Prep it the night before you plan to grill so the chicken can really soak up the flavors of the marinade.
The secret ingredient in this recipe is S&F Harissa, Sun-Dried Tomato Salsa, the newest addition to our salsa line-up. This salsa was inspired by harissa, a spicy, bold condiment commonly used in Middle Eastern and North African cooking.
This salsa is terrific on tortilla chips but it can also be used as a burger topping and as a sauce for grilled swordfish, salmon or tofu. We love it with steamed potatoes, spooned over fried eggs and mixed into pasta salad.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 2/3 cup S&F Harissa Sundried tomato Salsa, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup honey
- cooking spray
- Carrot Salad
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro, parsley or mint
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- Whisk together the yogurt and 1/3 cup S&F Harissa Sundried Tomato Salsa. Place the chicken in a 1 gallon size food storage bag. Pour the marinade into the bag and seal it. Move the chicken around so that it is evenly coated with the marinade. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 4 hours or as long as overnight.
- Make the glaze, whisk together the honey and 1/4 cup S&F Harissa Sundried Tomato Salsa and set it aside.
- Make the carrot salad, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, cilantro, salt, pepper and remaining 1 Tbsp. S&F Harissa Sundried Tomato Salsa. Add the carrots and toss well. Refrigerate until needed.
- When ready to cook, preheat the grill. Grease the grill with cooking spray. Place the thighs on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until well-marked. Turn and continue to grill until done, about 8-10 minutes more. When the chicken is just about cooked through, brush both sides of the chicken with the harissa honey glaze. Be watchful at this point to prevent burning. Transfer the chicken to a platter and pour any leftover glaze over the chicken.
- Serve the chicken with a portion of the carrot salad. Rice or couscous would make an excellent side dish.