Grilled Steak and Pasta Salad
We are sad to admit that summer is winding down. Many high school athletes have started pre-season practices, back to school supply lists are now a must do and the sun seems to be setting a bit earlier each night.
The good news is that there is still plenty of time to grill, to enjoy farmer’s markets and to savor summer tomatoes. This recipe delivers thin slices of restaurant-style steak with a zesty tomato and mozzarella pasta salad. It is a dinner that will have people ready and waiting at the table. Feel free to marinate the steak overnight or if you are short on time, while the grill pre-heats. S&F’s Steakhouse Marinade is a versatile chef’s sauce that serves double duty in this recipe both as a marinade and as a flavorful base for the pasta salad dressing.
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1/3 cup S & F Steakhouse Marinade, divided
- 1/2 lb. gemelli pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 oz. grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg.ciliegine “cherry size” mozzarella balls, drained and halved
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- basil sprigs (optional)
- Place the steak into a non-reactive bowl or into a food storage bag. Add 1/4 cup S & F Steakhouse Marinade. Stir until coated with the sauce and set aside. Preheat the grill.
- Prepare the gemelli according to package instructions. Drain and run under cold water until cooled.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooled pasta with the olive oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, olives and the remaining Tbsp. Steakhouse Marinade. Transfer the pasta salad to a serving dish.
- Place the steak onto the grill and cook until well-marked, about 7 minutes. Turn and continue to cook to desired doneness, 5 – 6 minutes for medium. Transfer the steak to a plate and let it rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steak in thin slices, against the grain.
- Place the sliced steak onto the pasta salad and garnish with fresh basil if desired.