Football Food: Make It Your Way Chili
When game day arrives, team jerseys are essential, chips and dip are expected but it is not really football without a pot of chili and all the fixings. S&F Chili Starter contains all the seasonings needed for a perfect pot of chili. All you need to do is stir.
This versatile chili recipe can be adjusted to suit different dietary requirements. It can be made with ground turkey or ground beef. A vegetarian version is also possible by adding additional beans, soy crumbles or cooked brown rice in place of the meat. It can be easily doubled for a big crowd. To prepare this recipe in a slow cooker: After step 2, add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 – 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 – 4 hours.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet bell pepper or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (12 oz.) jar S&F Chili Starter Cooking Sauce
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup beer or broth
- 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and black pepper, more to taste
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- Mexican grated cheese
- sliced black olives
- jalapeno slices
- scallions, thinly sliced
- Add oil to a soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and jalapeno, if using. Cook and stir until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef or turkey. Cook and stir breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- Continue to cook the meat until all of the cooking juices have cooked off and it is beginning to brown, about 12 minutes
- Add the vegetables (pepper or corn), S&F Chili Starter Cooking Sauce, beans, tomatoes and beer. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chili with family-style garnishes so everyone can individualize their bowls.